Recipe for 3 servings:
2 or 3 plantains [ripe or unripe]
1 cup meat or fish stock
1 large dry or smoked fish
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ground crayfish
½ cooking spoons palm oil
1 small onion [chopped]
2 fresh Cameroon pepper
1 bunch ugu or basil (effirin or nchanwu) leaves
Salt and seasoning to taste
- Wash, peel and dice the plantains.
- If they are unripe, place them in cold water to prevent them from darkening.
- If they slightly ripe, just pour them into the pot, add water and start cooking.
- Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the washed fish, salt and seasoning to taste, as well as the turmeric, chopped onions, crayfish, and pepper.
- Add the palm oil and cover.
- Cook until the pottage is tender, thoroughly mixed and tender.
- Uncover the pot and using a wooden spoon, stir and simmer at the same time.
- Wash, shred and chop the leaves.
- Add to the pot and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Simmer, remove from heat and serve warm.