FOOD NEWS
   STILL ON EBOLA OUTBREAK IN NIGERIA, BUSH  MEAT BANNED IN ONDO STATE 
 
The Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Dr Dayo Adeyanju on Saturday said the business of harvesting and selling bush meat has been banned in the State, pending the time the Ebola virus outbreak is eradicated.

Dr Dayo Adeyanju


Adeyanju, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Saturday breakfast programme, Sunrise, said this measure was part of the State government’s efforts at safeguarding the people of the State from the disease, and not get caught unaware.
 
Although the traders affected may have to find other means of livelihood, Adeyanju noted that it was a sacrifice they would need to make for the good of others.

 http://www.channelstv.com/2014/09/06/ebola-bush-meat-business-banned-ondo-health-commissioner/

He also noted that “one needs to be worried and put all the machinery in action, to avoid an outbreak”, in their surroundings.
 
Hence, the Ondo state government had embarked on a light sensitization programme, to avoid panic, before the disease was confirmed in Lagos, and an increased effort, after Patrick Sawyer was confirmed Ebola positive.

The first set of people sensitized were health workers, followed by traditional rulers, religious leaders and residents living at the coastal lines.

Also speaking on the programme, the Commissioner for Health, Imo State, Dr. Edward Ihejirika, said the State had been worried since EVD was confirmed in Rivers State.

Speaking on the measures taken by the government to tackle the disease if discovered in the State, Ihejirika noted that dedicated Ebola helplines has been published and in light of the Federal Government’s directive that schools should resume on September 22, information, communication and education materials will be distributed to schools.
 http://www.channelstv.com/2014/09/06/ebola-bush-meat-business-banned-ondo-health-commissioner/

Please follow and like us:
0