A popular brand of almond milk has been recalled in Australia’s most populous state after it was linked to a case of botulism.
Food safety officials say the recall of Inside Out Unsweetened Almond Milk in New South Wales (NSW) is “due to potential biotoxin contamination”.
This comes after a person was admitted to hospital after consuming the product.
Reports say the toxin that causes botulism can be extremely dangerous and has been linked to life-threatening illnesses.
Inside Out Nutritious Goods, which produces the almond milk, told the BBC that it “takes any potential food contamination issue extremely seriously.”
The company said as soon as it was informed of a potential contamination issue, it commenced a voluntary recall and have been providing every assistance to the relevant authorities.
This one-litre unsweetened almond milk product – with an expiry date of March 1 – was available for sale at stores owned by supermarket giant Woolworths.
Meanwhile Food Stahdard Australia New Zealand, “Consumers should not eat this product. Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund.”