I have observed that the effect of the corona virus pandemic, COVID-19 and the lock-down has resulted in excess weight gain for a whole lot of people.
Many foodies have added weight in so many areas and are not looking healthy and balanced in their physiques
From bloated faces to pot belly, from swollen legs to belly fat and all kinds of unnecessary fats that are not needed.
I have decided that in the next few months, we just have to look at natural healthy food, fruits and vegetables that we can eat so as to to shed some of these unwanted weights, if not all the weight gained in the cause of the lock-down.
It is pertinent to note that these edibles too can help to boost the immune system of the body. Thus, we will be using a two edge sword.
Lets begin with the PINK GRAPEFRUITS
Grapefruits are subtropical citrus fruits known for their relatively large sour to semisweet, and bitterness.
Grapefruits can comfortably be refereed to powerful super-food.
Some nutrition authors even describe these fruits as super food giants.
These tropical citrus fruits are rich in nutrients, antioxidants and fiber and this makes them some of the healthiest citrus fruits any one can eat.
Over the years, research has shown that these fruits have many health benefits and nutritional value.
These include the powerful ability to help loose weight loss, boost the immune system and even help reduce the risk of heart diseases.
Grapefruits are citrus hybrid which reportedly originated in Barbados as an accidental cross between the sweet orange and pomelo,
Reports say they were introduced from Asia in the 17th century.
These citrus fruits have lovely flavours that can range from bittersweet to sour and they contain a range of essential vitamins and minerals.
You can eat these the fruits whole or as juice or pulp and can add them to fruit parfaits and fruit salads. They require little-to-no preparation, so they are some what easy to add to any diet.
You can Snack on grapefruit slices, you can eat them as alternative to unhealthy dessert foods, you can blend them into smoothies with other fruits and veggies and relish them as breakfast or dinner even with parfait
Health benefits and nutritional facts
- Grapefruits are low in calories and high in nutrients.
- They are good for weight loss and to a very large extent aid weight loss.As weight loss friendly fruits, they have plenty properties linked to weight loss, especially their fiber content, which helps promote fullness and reduce calorie intake.
- They are good immune boosters and of great benefits to the immune system.
- Grapefruits have high water content, which help to keep the body hydrated.
- They help to promote appetite control.
- Grapefruits equally prevent insulin resistance and diabetes.
- They are also very good for the heart, this is because eating grapefruits can help to improve heart health.
- These super food are rich and known as powerful oxidants even as they also help to reduce the risk of Kidney Stones.
- Antioxidants protect the cells of the body from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that may cause harmful reactions in the body.
These important antioxidants are:
- Vitamin C: A powerful, water-soluble antioxidant that is present in high amounts in grapefruits and these help to protect cells from damage which often leads to heart disease and cancer
- Beta-carotene: This is converted into vitamin A in the body and thought to help reduce the risk of some chronic conditions, including heart disease, cancer and eye-related disorders like macular degeneration.
- Lycopene: is known for its potential ability to prevent the development of certain types of cancer, especially prostate cancer, thus, they can help to slow the growth of tumours and decrease the side effects of common cancer treatments.
- Flavanones: Their anti-inflammatory properties have been shown to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease.
Source – https://www.healthline.com