Ebiripo is a rich cocoyam delicacy that is prepared like moi – moi. The cocoyams which are usually white inside are grated and wrapped in moi moi leaves and steamed until set! The Ijebus are well known when it comes to this delicacy!
This special Ijebu delicacy made from cocoyam is a major staple food. Cooked in leaves., this meal can be cooked in various ways and spiced to make a balanced balanced diet. Although before now, most people use palmoil to relish the delicacy, but today any good looking, tasty soup can travel alongside the cocoyam delicacy. Amongst other nutrients, ebiripo is rich in carbohydrates.
The addition of other ingredients will help to boost the nutritional value of the meal!
Lets visit the kitchen!
Recipe for 4 servings
- 10 Tubers of cocoyam
- Salt to taste
- Palm oil for eating the meal
- Moi moi leaves for wrappings
- Seasoning cubes to taste
- Peel off the skin of the cocoyam
- Pour into a bowl of salt and water [,this is to enable the cocoyams retains their colour
- Grate the coco yams , using the tiny and closely packed side of the grater
- Simply salt the grated mixture and wrap in the moimoi leaves.
- Place them in a pot with some leaves or chopped off stems lining the base of the pot.
- Add a full cup of water to the pot
- Top off the pot with a spare leaf and cover the pot.
- Let it steam on low heat until cooked and set.
- When set, the smell of the delicacy and light brown colour, with a greyish hue will show that the food is ready!
Well any soup of your choice can go with this delicacy! Try this egusi soup!