Rice is a carbohydrate enriched food that appeals to virtually everyone.
Several men and women, young and old, children and adults love to relish rice in different ways.
Generally, rice is rich in starch and carbohydrate, and can even be eaten anywhere and without much stress.
There are different ways with rice – some love to boil and eat alongside stew or sauce, but it tends to have become boring for some people.
In West Africa and particularly Nigeria where I come from, many homes love to see and relish their rice by making the beauty of jollof rice a culinary reality.
In Nigeria, there are different types of jollof rice – they include the following amongst others – leafy jollof rice, coconut jollof rice, mixed vegetable jollof rice, concoction jollof rice, shrimp jollof rice as well as basmati jollof rice
However, my focus today is on party jollof rice! This kind of rice has a special taste and usually, ceremonies, outings and get-togethers like weddings, birthday parties, and so many kinds of occasion will not be seen as a complete event if party jollof rice is not served.
In fact, virtually every eatery, specialized rice outlets, restaurants, bukas, catering institutes and notable hotels in Nigeria and some West African countries serve sizzling jollof rice!
But the inconveniencing reality of the COVID – 19 pandemic that has befallen many countries of the earth has equally affected the party jollof rice, especially as the lockdown and stay – at -home phenomenon virtually makes it impossible for any gathering.
If you miss your favourable social party jollof rice, no need to worry and get agitated. Look around your kitchen and prepare this simple homemade delicacy.
Recipe for 6 servings
- 4 cups of rice [washed and parboiled]
- 12 large fresh tomatoes [sliced or diced]
- 5 fresh peppers [blended]
- 2 large onions [sliced]
- 4 cooking spoons of vegetable oil
- 12 chunks of roasted or boiled chicken, meat or fish.
- 5 large cups of meat or chicken stock
- 5 cooking spoons of pureed tomatoes
- salt and seasonings to taste
- spices to taste [curry, thyme, ginger and garlic]
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise [optional]
- 1 small bunch of bay leaf [washed]
- Cooking party Jollof rice begins with using the vegetable oil or any oil of your choice to fry the sliced onions.
- Get a large pot, set on fire and pour in the oil.
- Add some of the onions, and keep the rest for garnishing.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and red peppers alongside the other seasonings.
- Add salt to taste as well as the meat stock.
- Stir and add the curry, thyme, garlic and ginger and stir well.
- Stir and add the mayonnaise, this will help the jollof rice look glossy and sticky.
- Add the parboiled rice, cover and cook until the rice is quite tender.
- Uncover and continue to gradually add the meat stock and some water in sprinkles.
- Add other ingredients and be careful how you stir- its better if you use a wooden spoon.
- This will prevent the bottom of the pot from getting burnt. But even if it gets burnt, never mind, this is the beauty of party jollof rice
- Go ahead and add the sliced tomatoes, some of the onions and any other veggies you have.
- Cover slightly and simmer the food until the water dries and the rice turns reddish in colour.
- Once it is ready, uncover the pot and scatter the cooked chicken, meat and fish.
- Stir and simmer uncovered for few minutes and serve warm.