The Nigerian Ministry of Budget and National Planning in collaboration with stakeholders have reportedly reviewed the Draft National Policy on Food and Nutrition .
This according to reports is to eradicate malnutrition in the country.
At a stakeholders’ dialogue in Abuja, the Minister of State for the ministry, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, who revealed that Nigeria had the highest burden of malnutrition in Africa stressed that this necessitated the review of the policy to address emerging concerns in the science, practice and programme of food and nutrition activities in the country.
She said the review was done with a view to scaling up high impact and cost effective nutrition interventions to stem the upsurge of malnutrition, especially among vulnerable groups.
She explained that the draft is a 10-year blueprint for eradicating malnutrition for sustainable economic growth and development in Nigeria noting that it is a plan for the future of Nigeria.
In the same vein, the permanent secretary in the ministry, Mrs Fatima Mede, said the policy has the potential to address malnutrition and extreme hunger amongst children, pregnant as well as lactating mothers.
Mede who said the policy would address emerging concerns in the science of food and nutrition programming also stressed that it would also provide a guide to scale up high impact and cost-effective nutrition interventions.
Mede also said the ministry recognised the importance of nutrition as a developmental issue and therefore was committed to providing all necessary support for the nutrition unit in the ministry.
The following are therefore put in place!
- Forty million naira has been approved for 2016 nutrition activities in the ministry.
- The ministry will continue to provide the expected leadership in the coordination of food and nutrition activities in the country.
- The ministry will push for the approval of a National Policy at the Federal Executive Council and National Executive Council.
- The ministry will ensure speedy and effective implementation of the different policies and programmes on food and nutrition by putting in place effective machinery for monitoring and evaluation.
- The ministry will also ensure speedy implementation of such policies by advocating to government at all levels for the creation of nutrition budget line and timely release of the funds.