Yes, Rice is usually the most in demand food during the festive periods, its simple, fast to make and every child looks forward to eating rice during Christmas and New year celebrations.
But why dont you give your rice a little spin this Holiday, why dont you try another flavour of rice and impress your loved ones with another form of rice?
Ofada rice with ofada stew
‘Ofada’ as it is popularly called is not a very common or cheap kind of rice. Ask any Nigerian who loves this locally produced rice. But the local taste and tantalising aroma makes a – must – have for many when the option is available, lets go through the steps to making this amazing local delicacy of rice.
Recipe for 4 servings
4 cups of ofada rice
Salt and seasoning to taste
10 fresh tomatoes
5 fresh atarodo [pepper]
5 fresh tatashe pepper
2 large onions
2 cooking spoons palmoil
Garlic and ginger to taste [optional]
5 large pieces of cow skin [ponmo] diced
Assorted meat and intestine [shaki, fuku, round about etc]
3 shawa smoked fish [optional]
2 wraps of locust beans [iru]
- Check the rice for stones, wash with hot water, parboil and cook until tender.
- Make sure it’s not too soft, thus ensure the water you use in cooking the food is added little by little.
- While the rice is cooking, wash, season and cook the assorted meat until tender.
- Wash the tomatoes, peppers, ginger, garlic and one of the onions.
- Pour into a blender and blend slightly, make sure the puree is not smooth, just pour the tomato mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Wash and slice or dice the other onion.
- Set a pot or saucepan on fire, pour in the palm oil, add the onion and the tomato – pepper mixture, the seasonings to taste and other ingredients, including the locust beans.
- Stir and allow cooking for 10 minutes.
- Check for taste and serve on the ofada rice.
- A cup of cold water will not disappoint you. you can add plantain to the side, to add a little more spice and taste to your Ofada rice.
COMPLIMENT OF THE SEASON!
So give this recipe a try and tell us how it tastes in our comment section below