Herbs and spices are condiments that add flavour, taste and beauty to our dishes.
This list is of these additives are almost in exhaustible but we will touch as many as possible..
While having a discussion with the Erstwhile Adviser to a Nigerian Former of Minister of Agriculture, Doctor Kayode Oyeleye, he shared a list of these lovely, healthy and indispensable kitchen spices, as well as their nutritional value and health benefits.
Depending on where you find yourself in the world, these ‘kitchen – helpers’ vary, but you can feel free to contribute your experience with herbs, spices or condiments, and give your suggestions and share what you have in your own part of the world.
These also come with much health benefits There are lots and loads of herbs and spices available, lets begin with..
- Garlic – this bulby spice as well as herb can combat sickness and improve heart health.
- Ginger can treat nausea and has anti-inflammatory properties. The use of ginger in treating nausea caused by morning sickness, is a great feature. Others are the treatment of chemotherapy and sea sickness.
- Turmeric is a spice in form of rhizome, similar to ginger, but having yellow color, with medicinal properties, the most remarkable feature of this yellow root spice is that it contains a remarkably powerful antioxidant property.
- Golden milk — also known as turmeric milk — is an Indian drink that has been gaining popularity in Western cultures. This bright yellow beverage is traditionally made by warming up cow’s or plant-based milk with turmeric and other spices.
- Peppermint has an oily property which is responsible for the health benefits, and also has distinct aroma, which improves appeal to food. It relieves pain and may reduce nausea.
- Cayenne pepper contains Capsaicin, which helps reduce appetite and ay have anti-cancer properties
- Cinnamon is loaded with powerful antioxidants, such as polyphenols, which protect your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- Curry leaves : benefits are many. These are: Weight loss, treating dysentery, constipation and diarrhea, relief from morning sickness and nausea, eliminates bacteria, food for diabetics, for eyesight and for reducing stress.
Expect more in subsequent posts…