Ugba Salad is a rich Nigerian delicacy that is rich in nutritional value and health benefits.
- Ugba is also known as African oil bean seed.
- It is very rich in protein and this could be used as alternative source of protein in any diet.
- It can also be used as protein supplement.
- The mineral content of ugba shows it is rich in iron and this valued at 140.97 mg/100 g.
- Infact, reports say its richness in iron has a higher inhibition than what is reported for palm kernel oil.
- Ugba has a high available energy and it equally has a high fat content.
- The oils extracted from ugba can serve as alternative sources of ointment for maintenance of the skin and management of wounds in addition to the usual palm kernel oil.
Recipe for 3 servings:
- 6 large garden eggs [chopped].
- 1 large onion.
- 1 Tablespoon Crayfish [ground].
- Palm oil.
- Pepper [ground].
- wash and softened Stock fish.
- Salt and seasoning to taste.
- Dissolve the potash in water.
- Cook the stock fish with salt until soft and very tender.
- Drain the water. Add the palm oil to the potash solution and stir. The solution turns yellow and thickens. Dissolve the garden egg and walnut recipes.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Add the ground pepper, onion and salt and stir.
- Add other ingredients and serve.