A woman died a couple of days ago in Australia while taking part in a contest to eat as many lamingtons as possible.
The 60-year-old woman is reported to have had a seizure during the event at a hotel in Hervey Bay, Queensland, to mark Australia Day on Sunday January 26, 2020.
Contestants had earlier been filmed speed-eating the lamingtons.
She was given CPR at the scene and taken to hospital but later died.
Witnesses said the woman had crammed one of the cakes into her mouth when she appeared to get into difficulties.
Footage has however emerged that showed other patrons of the pub cheering on the eaters, who had glasses of water next to them, before the accident.
The Beach House Hotel in Hervey Bay also posted a message on Facebook expressing condolences to the family and friends of the woman, who has not been named.
They equally appreciated the ambulance service for their “prompt and professional response in the cause of a tragic incident.
Eating competitions are a popular game during Australia Day, a national holiday marking the arrival of the first Europeans to Australia.
The contestants usually win prizes for eating as many cakes, pies, hot dogs or other food in a limited time.
A lamington is an Australian cake made from squares of butter cake or sponge cake coated in an outer layer of chocolate sauce and rolled in desiccated coconut.
The thin mixture is absorbed into the outside of the sponge cake and left to set, giving the cake a distinctive texture.
This traditional sponge cake covered in chocolate and desiccated coconut can be frozen and stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months.